Managing Editor (New York, NY)
The New Food Economy is seeking a managing editor to guide the daily operations of its New York City newsroom. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with The New Food Economy’s distinctive mix of feature reporting, news, and commentary, a strong grasp of its role in the broader world of food media, and enthusiasm to match the site’s ambitious plans for the future. Applicants should be comfortable working in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment, and maintaining a monthly and daily edit calendar, while assigning and editing a full range of stories to freelancers and staff writers—long-lead features, reported articles, breaking news, and pieces that provide context on the newsworthy events of the beat.
Though this role is primarily editorial and managerial, we’re looking for an agile, imaginative news junkie who can write with authority in The New Food Economy voice when needed, which can be often. This is a chance to see a leading non-profit newsroom into the next phase of its evolution, develop talent, work with an award-winning team of staff writers and freelancers, and make a case for what the future of food media should be.
- A minimum of three years in a newsroom leadership role
- Some experience in beat reporting—either as a writer or editor
- Impeccable news judgment
- Bomb-proof copy editing chops
- Experience managing budgets and writers, both staff and freelance
- Comfort overseeing a growing staff of seven in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories
- Readiness to respond to major events and breaking news in The New Food Economy’s distinct editorial voice, while nurturing and developing long-lead features, special projects, and editorial partnerships
- Significant experience writing and editing for a digital news outlet with a diverse audience;
- Love of processes and willingness to create and implement them to improve workflow
- Interest in the growing nonprofit news sector
- Desire to help guide and implement the senior staff’s larger-picture vision for the site, both on newfoodeconomy.org and other platforms
- Ambition about the growth of The New Food Economy’s output, offerings, audience, and brand
- A sense of humor, curiosity, and your willingness to experiment and fail
- Versed in startup media culture
- Interested in the money, power, and politics behind the American food system
- Living in or near the five boroughs of New York City
- Report to the EIC and features editor and be an integral member of NFE’s senior staff
- Assign, edit, report, write, and guide daily news coverage
- Develop an unimpeachable understanding of what makes a New Food Economy story
- Become an expert in the nuances of food journalism
- Grow intimately familiar with competitors, the food media landscape, and the daily stream of food news we’re required to cover
- Be the key conduit between newsroom staff and editors
- Get the chance to work with NFE editorial partners to develop and co-publish long-lead features. In the past, those have included The Intercept, The Atlantic, The Food and Environment Reporting Network, and The Guardian
- Have loads of opportunities to nurture and develop your own skills, as well as those of emerging journalists
- Get plenty of support from senior staff with ample experience in the beat
The New Food Economy is a multi-award-winning digital magazine, named one of the five best “micro newsrooms” in the country by the Online News Association in 2018. We offer opportunities for professional development, benefits, the option to work remote two days a week, and an informal, creative, and intellectually inspiring newsroom culture.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and relevant clips to email@example.com. Apply by February 1st, 2019 to ensure full consideration.